Saturday, June 5, 2010

The Tree on Crescent St. [part two]

4. Detention was a waste of time. Mrs. Lycra simply handed me a chemistry packet and instructed me to complete it. It was so easy that I raced right through it. Thirty minutes to go, I thought as I texted Alissa. The last message is still saved on my phone even now. “I’m sorry baby, but Lycra gave me detention. I’ll call you later. Don’t make plans tonight, I love you!” She answered back, “Don’t worry, sweetie. Call me later. Love you more.”  I never even got the chance to read it; Mrs. Lycra took my phone away.
 

5. If the last fifty minutes were any indication, the rest of the day did not look so great. I made my way from detention to study hall, deep in thought. I couldn’t wait to cuddle up with Alissa on my couch and just kiss her. It seemed like all she did these days was study, study, study. Did I mention ‘study’? I remember her laughing when I asked her to lay off the books for a few days. She said we had all the time in the world to be together; little did we know, time was exactly what we were lacking.  During study hall, I did my homework and bullshitted around with Lucas from my softball team. The day seemed to be looking up, although sad grey clouds had started to shield the sun.

6.  “My hopes are so high that your kiss might kill me, so won’t you kill me, so I die happy…” Dashboard Confessional blared on my shower radio as I scrubbed away what I thought had been the bad part of my day. The shower was cool and I let the suds slip down the drain before I got out to brush my teeth. I was caught by surprise when I saw how tired my olive green eyes appeared. I guess, though, that I was pretty attractive back then, before the accident. I had blonde hair, a pretty average build. You could say I was sporty. My muscles were defined, just so.  A quick spritz of cologne and a button up t-shirt, and I was good to go. I called Alissa to be sure she was ready, and I started the car as the clock hit 4:17.
 


0 comments: