Friday, June 11, 2010

fearless

via "Although I was voted “most likely to end up in jail” in high school, I decided to get an MA and teach literature and gender studies to college students across the country. Along the way, I’ve been unable to resist trying new things—including working an archeological dig, slinging drinks at a biker bar, and getting fabulous tattoos. I call all of this research for my writing. To fill my craving for new experiences, I’ve lived in Pennsylvania, North Carolina, and Southern California, and I plan to keep roaming with my family as widely and as often as possible. This year, I think, I’m living in Virginia." - Melissa Marr


this is the kind of life i want. to a t. i want to be an english and gender studies professor... but first i want to go into publishing. why? 1) for experience, 2) to feel important [i want to be an editor OR be the person who picks what becomes a book and what doesnt, specializing in YA and 3) because it will make me happy and give me an in in the industry. it would actually be perfect if i could work for an indie press. or even start my own one day.


THEN i'd like to try my hand at selling some of my lyrics, etc to a record label. recording demos maybe. i love singing, it's the best feeling in the world, but i don't think i'd want a career out of it. i don't want to ever have to conform, and i'm not as amazing as some people out there. fame isn't what i want, but i do want to touch someone's heart, anyone's heart with a poem or story or song. if i hear that just one person was touched and affected for the better by something i created, i'd glow inside.


and finally, teaching would be wonderful. i would love to teach, to give to students like some of my favorite teachers have done for me. i want to inspire the next generation and show them that they CAN do whatever they set their mind to. gender studies and english are definitely where my passion is at. feminism, humanitarianism, equality... those are core values. 


obviously the whole time i would write myself silly, create my little heart out. and who wouldn't take the opportunity to work at an archeological dig? i would never pass that up. i wouldn't say no to tattoos either! if it's true that you only live once, then why wouldn't you live to the fullest? live a lot of places [for me that would be paris, new york, california, and vacations in italy and hawaii and all over the world] meet a lot of people, learn a trade like bartending to fall back on, etc. i love life, and i intend to do this all, and more. whatever comes my way, i am willing to take it head first, fearless.


have a sweet day!

3 comments:

chelsea rebecca said...

this is so awesome!
i want to do this too!!

mel said...

you should do what you feel speaks to you and you will love it:)
xx
mel

peterbellandtinkerpan.blogspot.com

Sam | ashore said...

there is no reason your life can't work out just like this.