Friday, May 28, 2010


If I cry
I am the weaker sex
If I scream and shout
I am the weaker sex
I’m expected to cook, clean, take care of the children, run a household, and work a 9 to 5 to help support my MAN
Because I am the weaker sex

I pay attention to the latest trends
I can’t upset the balance of our life
If I refuse your last name,
I am berated.
If I believe in equal rights,
I don’t know my place.
Feminism is a dirty word that
Many women themselves reject.
Because I am the weaker sex

Yet I endure rape.
When is the last time you walked home late at night,
Kept glancing over your shoulder,
Freaking out at the sight of your own shadow,
Clutching keys and pepper spray, knowing that
At any moment, someone could pounce?
They tell me, be submissive.
Because I am the weaker sex

And what about childbirth?
The hole isn’t that big, you know.
But my body is a miracle,
And I was made to carry the fruit,
The seeds of tomorrow.
Tell me,
Do you believe your god would bestow such an honor on the WEAKER SEX?

When you cry of a paper cut
When you whine because your feet hurt
After a “rough day” at the office
And when you lie to me and say you don’t want to hurt me,
But it’s really you who doesn’t want to feel the pain
Of the repercussions?
Yet I AM THE WEAKER SEX

PLEASE TELL ME
How do I prove myself to you?
How do I show you I am
Something more than a pair of breasts,
An object,
An ornament to hang on your tree
To show off to your friends?

Because if you truly are so unenlightened
That you can’t begin to realize what
EQUALITY is, than YOU are weak.
For I refuse to be seen as anything that contains the word “weak.”
I am a WOMAN. And I am proud. 

0 comments: