Monday, August 30, 2010

the particular sadness of lemon cake...



\\

was a strange book,
an extraordinary book,
a book that gave me heavy boots,
a book that made me sad but
i'm glad to have read it.

check it out.
there is a girl who can taste people's feelings in the food that they cook for her.
there is a mysterious brother, and a love that cannot be.
a mother and father with secrets of their own.
it pulls on your heart.



i wrote a found poem using aimee bender's words:


with such elongated emphasis
he whispered to me that the chair was his favorite.
he ate the whole meal with his eyes closed.
he said
my eyelids are my own private cave

you know you can’t remove your mouth,
everybody loves you and wants to take you home.
i wanted to erase them all;
dignity is no detail.

the house smelled of roasted pine nuts
it was probably eight o’clock
congratulations, I said.
joe’s missing.

1 comments:

chelsea rebecca said...

interesting... i must check this book out!