Tuesday, August 10, 2010

the hand that feeds

music is such a lovely thing. it can bring couples and friends together, it can make you either love or hate someone else. artists, through their lyrics and melodies, can inspire our moods, thoughts, and we look up to some of these people so much that we start to look to them for inspiration on clothing, food choices, and movie/other music choices. how many times has your favorite musician said "oh so&so has been the most influential on my career/i am really digging thisband's new album..." and you've downloaded the mentioned music right away? or how many times have you seen your favorite singer in a rad shirt and said "i have to have that." music has gotten us all through the joyous times, the rough times; the best of times, the worst of times. i know it has done so for me. my whole life i've written poetry and lyrics, and have dreamed of being in a band. i love getting on stage, i did singing lessons and recitals for many years. it's so exhilarating and magical to be up there. i would love to do so one day sharing my own words with the crowd, using my voice to inspire love, drama and sexual feelings. when i saw no doubt in concert, i actually cried. gwen has been such a force in my life. i get so many cues from her, everything she has done just feels right to me. her voice, her lyrics, her fashion, the red lipstick and bottle blonde hair. when she sang on stage that night, i just couldn't believe it. here was one of my idols, in the same general area as me. it didn't matter that i was in the nosebleed seats. that was just ... it.
music means so much to me. it's been there for me when i needed a friend. when i needed company walking to work or taking the bus. when i needed solace from a breakup or my parents' divorce. when i needed something to push me to write. when i was happy and just needed to dance.
i'm going to a Florence and the Machine show in November with one of my good friends Natalie. i'm so very pumped.
next post: concerts i've been to, concerts i hope to go to, and maybe some music recommendations. recommend me some, too :)

1 comments:

Jamilla said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog, Francesca Lia Block is my favourite writer too.

Glad to see I'm not the only fan! :)