Tuesday, October 27, 2009

come together

in order to be relevant and to change you, the right music has to come along at the right time. when i was younger, i fell in love with Liz Phair. not the idie rock liz, the pop liz. i didn't know any better. i thought this is how she always was. my friend bought me a cd for my sweet 16. it was "Exile in Guyville"... liz's first actual cd. and i absolutely hated it. she sang in a deadpan voice about... NOTHING it seemed. it was awful. and then, i got into Sarra Manning books. she is a british author who writes young adult and adult novels. i read Pretty Things; at the start of each chapter there are song lyrics. and there, i read this:


your face reminds me of a flower/
kind of like you're underwater/
hair's too long and in your eyes/
your lips a perfect suck-me size

and guess who wrote/sang this? LIZ. guess what album? GUYVILLE. i was hooked. i listened to the whole album over and over and its still one of my favorites. it means so so much to me.

all my life, i have hated the beatles. all you need is love? all i need is earplugs. but now, my eyes have been opened to them. my rock and roll professor, who i sometimes hate, introduced me to the beatles in the most magnificent way. and then Jody told me the most awesome stuff about them. now i am waiting to get their cds from the library and a few books on them as well. good stuff!!

0 comments: